The demands of different jobs are getting wider these days. Some jobs are no longer limited to the degree the applicants have. Because of the employment competition in the Philippines and in abroad, the requirements have already changed. Many companies are now requiring skilled workers.
The demand for skilled employees is increasing. There are many opportunities for workers with specialized skills and training. However, the problem is: Being a skilled worker comes with a cost.
Applying for seminars, training, and vocational courses are not cheap. They also require a lot of your time to attend the training and learn the skill. Fortunately, a government agency is offering free online courses for Overseas Filipino Workers, unemployed adults, students, out-of-school youths, stay-at-home mother or father, and professionals who want to learn a new skill.
The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority or more popularly known as TESDA has been providing many Filipinos a way to learn skills that they can use for employment both within the Philippines and overseas. TESDA is offering free courses through any of their many offices located all over the country. Not only that, they also have free online courses that you can learn at your own pace.
The government agency is already offering more than 200 courses for different fields and specializations. These include courses in the field of entrepreneurship, customer service, tourism, healthcare, and engineering.
Since the courses can be learned online, you can still work go to school, work on your regular job or do your regular everyday routine. You can study the courses during your free time. Since these courses are offered online, you can review the materials anytime.
However, you won’t get credits for the courses you take online unless you take an assessment test at a TESDA assessment center. This is not a problem as you only have to go to a TESDA assessment center, take the necessary tests, and receive the training certificate that you can use when applying for a job.
Online Courses Offered By TESDA
You can enroll in the following online courses offered by TESDA for free:
The course categories under Automotive are:
- Diesel engine Tune Up
- Automotive Battery Servicing
The course category under Agriculture is:
- Fruit Grower
- Electrical and Electronics
The course category under Electrical and Electronics is:
- Solar Night Light Assembly
The course categories under Entrepreneurship are:
- STAR Online Training Program
- Managing Your Personal Finance
- Human Health or Health Care
The course category under Human Health or Health Care is:
- NCII: Massage Therapy (under BETA)
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Condition
The course category under Heating, Ventilation, and Air Condition are:
- Packaged Air Conditioner Unit Servicing
- Information and Communication Technology
The course categories under Information and Communication Technology are:
- ICT Courses
- Microsoft Online Courses
- Microsoft Online Courses – Game Development
- Udacity – Google Courses
- Udemy Courses
ICT Courses subcategories are:
- Basic Computer Operation
- SMART Android Mobile Apps Development for Beginners
- SMART Technopreneurship 101
- Web Development using HTML5 and CSS3
Microsoft Online Courses subcategories are:
- C# Fundamentals for Beginners
- Software Development Fundamentals
Microsoft Online Courses – Game Development subcategories are:
- Developing 2D and 3D Games with Unity
- Developing 2D Games with HTML5
- Game Production Basics
Udacity – Google Courses subcategories are:
- Android Development for Beginners
- UX Design for Mobile Developers
Udemy Courses subcategory is:
- Android 4.0 Programming in Java
- Lifelong Learning Skills
The course categories under Lifelong Learning Skills are:
- How to Build Confidence in Your Abilities
- Job Interview Skills Training Course
The course category under Maritime is:
- Ships’ Catering NC III
- Social, Community Development, and Other Services
The course category under Social, Community Development, and Other Services is:
- Beauty Care Services (Nail Care) NC II
The course categories under Tourism are:
- Bread and Pastry Production NC II
- Food and Beverage Services NC II
- Housekeeping NC II
- Cookery NC II
Bread and Pastry Production NC II subcategory is:
- Preparing Cake
Food and Beverage Services NC II subcategories are:
- Introduction to Food and Beverage Service
- Providing Table Service
- Providing Room Service
Cookery NC II subcategories are:
- Preparing Hot Meals
- Preparing Stocks, Sauces, and Soups
- Preparing Poultry and Game Dishes
- Preparing Seafood Dishes
- Preparing Egg Dishes
- Preparing Starch Dishes
- Preparing Vegetable Dishes
- Preparing Meat Dishes
- Preparing Cold Meals
- Preparing Appetizers
- Preparing Salads and Dressings
- Preparing Sandwiches
- Preparing Sweets
- Preparing Desserts
Housekeeping NC II subcategories are:
- Providing Housekeeping Services
- Providing Guest Room Services
- Providing Valet Services
- Providing Laundry Services to Guests
- Providing Public Area Services
- Deal with Intoxicated Guests
- Provide Housekeeping Services to Guests
- Guest Room Attendant Servicing
- Laundry Servicing
- Public Area Attendant Servicing
The course categories under TVET are:
- Trainers Methodology I
- Trainers Methodology II
- Trainers Methodology I
- The subcategories are:
- Deliver Training Session
- Conduct Competency Assessment
Trainers Methodology II subcategory is:
- Curriculum Development
Steps to Enroll in TESDA’s Online Program
If you are interested to enroll in any registered online courses offered by TESDA, you have to register an account with the agency’s website first. The process is easy and it is totally free.
1. Go to TESDA Online Program Website at https://www.e-tesda.gov.ph/. At the upper most portion of the main page, you will find a login and registration box. Click the “Not yet registered? Click here” link.
2. Create your account by filling out the information needed in the form. Once done, click “Create an Account.” An activation email will be sent to the email address you registered. You need to confirm the email that the system will sent to complete your registration.
3. Once you already have an activated TESDA account, you can start enrolling in your chosen course. Choose from the list the course you want to take. Once you’re already decided, click “Enrol Me.”
4. You will be directed to the modules. Choose the link of the module you want to study.
5. Congratulations! You can now access your chosen course. To know which courses you’re already enrolled in, you can access it in the “My Courses” tab. Once you’re finished with the module, you can choose another one from the list of the e-courses.
Why Should I Enroll On a Free Course Online?
1. It’s FREE. These courses aim to equip you with new, practical skills that you can use. If you are currently employed, you can take these as side jobs and apply the competencies you acquired from the course by servicing clients. If you are currently a student, you can work part-time and earn money on the side.
2. It’s a Good Investment. Learning new things is an investment.
3. Learn At Your Own Pace, In Your Own Place. Since the training is done online, you are in control of how many hours you spend on the course and where you want it to take. If you think you are productive in the morning, you can study the module in the morning.
4. Earn While Traveling. After finishing the courses, like the Game Development, it gives you an opportunity to get remote work. This means you only need certain types of equipment, like a laptop, to start working. There are many websites who are looking for freelance Game Developers and you can start offering your services.
5. Start Your Own Business. After finishing the courses such as Massage Therapy, Cookery or Electronics, you now have the skills to start your own business. You can set up your own on-call massage services or your own nail salon.